Consultant position in Djibouti, Republic of Djibouti
Headlight Organization Overview
Founded in 2018, Headlight Consulting Services, LLC delivers data-driven decision-making to its partners through robust strategy design support, in-depth monitoring, evaluation, and learning technical services, and facilitated organizational change processes. Headlight brings expertise in qualitative methods, systems-thinking, utilization-focused MEL, emergent methods such as developmental evaluation, evaluation policy design, organizational development, and much more. Headlight offers fit-for-purpose, agile solutions to improve the efficiency and efficacy of development programs around the globe, focusing on the structures and systems that enable sustainable solutions.
Summary of Position
Headlight is looking to engage a Human Resources and Finance Consultant to support Headlight’s Djibouti field office in setting up sustainable human resources and financial systems. The Consultant will be responsible for supporting recruitment efforts in Djibouti, setting up a payroll system, supporting the development of an Djiboutian Employee Handbook, establishing supportive policies for standard operating procedures that enable effective and efficient operations, and more. Beyond initial systems building, the consultant will help with the production of financial reports, proper maintenance of accounting records, accurate processing of financial transactions, support to regular tax filings with the Government of Djibouti, and administration of a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk for Headlight’s Djiboutian portfolio. The Consultant will also enhance the accuracy of the Company’s reported financial results, ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), adhere to grants management standards, and support audits.
Responsibilities and Deliverables
During the term, the Consultant will:
- Support recruitment efforts in Djibouti through advertising job vacancies and assisting in the vetting and hiring processes for candidates.
- Establish a payroll system.
- Design of a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk for Headlight’s Ethiopian portfolio.
- Provide useful financial insights to help make better decisions about formulating and executing strategy and collaborate with the CEO and Headlight’s accountants to develop a financial strategy for the Djibouti field office.
- Prepare and analyze accurate monthly financial and management reports, including income statement, balance sheet, budget and variance, projections and forecast, and cash flow.
- Maintain control of the following areas: general ledger, accounts payable, expense reports, billing, and payroll.
- Ensure that all financial transactions are processed accurately, in a timely manner, and in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Perform month-end closing procedures, including overhead allocations, account reconciliations, and updating schedules.
- Assist in the management of contracts reporting, compliance, and reconciliation.
- Maintain an orderly accounting filing system.
- Develop, implement, and maintain processes and controls that are current best practices related to transaction processing.
- Assist in issuing timely, accurate, and complete financial statements for all levels, including executive and management.
- Prepare and assist with developing audit schedules for the annual audit and suggest improvements in processes to increase organizational effectiveness.
- Gather information and support the annual tax filings and maintain international contractor filings.
- Administer Djibouti-based payroll, working in concert with the chosen software to deliver payments.
- Perform additional financial administrative tasks as requested.
- 8+ years of professional human resources and finance experience in Djibouti;
- Professional networks that could be utilized for recruitment, particularly for the international development field
- A preference for familiarity with USAID’s organizational structure and work in Djibouti, or other donor regulations in the international development space;
- Excellent oral and written communication and report-writing skills in English and French;
- Keen attention to detail, especially related to managing data and associated processes;
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources, finance, business management, or related focus;
- Active listening, proactive learning, and time management skills, with readiness to be in a learning role; and,
- Previous experience and comfort with working for multiple stakeholders with competing priorities/interests.
Qualified Female applicants are encouraged to apply
Please note that this vacancy is only for Nationals of Djibouti.
How to Apply
Interested persons should send a CV and Cover Letter that highlights experience aligned with the requirements above to email@example.com. Please include in the subject line of your email “HR/Finance – Djibouti”.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis so apply as soon as possible! Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Headlight Consulting Services, LLC complies with all employment and labor policies, laws, and regulations in Djibouti. Headlight provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.